- Authored a resolution and secured passage by the Memphis City Council, Shelby County Commission, Nashville Council, and Knoxville Council urging the legislature and governor to adopt tougher state crime laws. Change soon followed and as a result we live in a safer city and state.
- Sponsored and championed amendments to the False Alarm Ordinance to reduce the $3.5MM in wasted MPD resources spent on 98% of alarm calls that are false.
- With Harold Collins, reinstated the funding and implementation of speed calming devices (speed bumps) in neighborhoods. These had been discontinued by the Herenton administration.
- Led in creation of the Halo so that MPD could hire from 20 miles outside the county in order to meet our recruitment goals.
- Worked with the Wharton Administration to sponsor an employee benefits suggestion program to reward employees for suggesting efficiencies in city government.
- Championed creation and adoption of take home car policy to reduce take home cars.
- First to uncover abuse in General Services Division by outing the “Hot Rod” driven by the former Division Director. The department is now under investigation by the FBI.
- As Chairman of the CIP Committee in 2009, worked with Administration to reduce spending on Capital projects by $20mm – from $100MM to $80MM – a reduced number that is still in place today.
- Sponsored and championed a $1.5MM project of unallocated funds to clean up and plant thousands of trees along the Airport corridor from I-240 to the airport – the front door to our city.
- Championed PILOT (Payment In Lieu of Taxes) changes to accelerate economic development.
- Worked with industry and Office of Planning and Development to eliminate the need for contractors to acquire a permit for demolition to begin – eliminating red tape for the construction industry and speeding up economic development.
- Voted against solid waste fee increase when outsourcing could have saved over $12MM per year.
Children & Families
- Sponsored and led funding and implementation of Child Impact Statements so child well-being and family will now be considered in the formative stage of all policy decisions.
- Appointed as the Council representative by Chairman Harold Collins to two key committees: Mayor Wharton’s Strategic Business Assessment Committee to reform City Government and the committee to determine the future of Beale Street.
- Led in the Negotiation to include MLGW in the Unified Development Code as MLGW was going to be excluded from the new code.
- Assisted citizens in countless requests for municipal services, including adding street lights, getting trash picked up, graffiti removed – and the list goes on and on.
- I also have been a consistent and strong voice for lower taxes and more efficiency in government and I decline all perks of office. My ethos is that I am there to serve – not be served.
- Safe Routes to Schools
- Sidewalks in Mt. Terrace – Frayser
- Access road for Nike plant – Frayser
- Sycamore View – City Limit to Summer
- James Road – Hollywood to Overton Crossing
- Craigmont – Covington to Old Brownsville
- Reese Rd. – Appling to Kate Bond
- Elmore – Covington Pike to Dead End
- Old Allen – Egypt Central to Hawkins Mill
- Egypt Central – Egypt Central to New Allen
- Watkins: I-40 to Whitney
- Watkins: Whitney to Dellwood
- Watkins: Dellwood to Frayser
- Ridgemont: New Allen to Allen
- Ridgemont: Allen to Howardcrest
- Hollywood: Frayser to I-240
- Schnuck’s building demolition/ MPD Traffic Division – Raleigh
- Realignment of Raleigh-Millington and New Allen
- Pool funding
- Art at Raleigh Community Center
- Fletcher Creek Park – Cordova
- Raleigh Bartlett Meadows Park Upgrades
- Urban Art project on James Road underpass reflecting history of Frayser & Raleigh
- Water for community events
- Block party
- $15,000 – Rangeline CDC
- Demolition of Overton Manor – Frayser
- Demolition of Serra Chevrolet Building – Raleigh
- Various cleanup efforts throughout Cordova, Raleigh, and Frayser